Tuesday, September 16, 2014

The Story of An Hour #2

At the beginning of the response I noticed that the wording used for Mrs. Mallard's heart was described as "heart trouble". When I first read this I thought the wording seemed a little strange, but as I read on, I understood why the author used that wording. As the story continues along, the reader can noticed that there seem to be problems between Mr. and Mrs. Mallard's marriage. I think the heart in the story is a symbol that there is "love trouble" between this family.
The author also used limitation of the actual space that the character was in, and rather described things other than what were in the bedroom and the stairwell. The things the author described were able to help the reader understand the thoughts that were running through Mrs. Mallard's head. I think that the bird that she saw when looking out the window symbolizes the freedom and the reason why she continues to say, "Free! Body and soul free!". I also think that by not going into too much detail about the surroundings, we are able to feel the emotions that the door holds when Mr. Mallard walks through it.
The relationship that the Mallards have does not seem like a healthy relationship. We are able to see that Mrs. Mallard is able to think about being free and having time to herself rather than thinking about the time that will be lost with her husband. I do not think that they have as strong as a love that is needed to have a healthy relationship. Going back to the symbolism of the heart, at the end of the story, Mrs. Mallard's heart dies, which also symbolizes the ending of their love.

No comments:

Post a Comment